In August 2009 Partners In Contracting Corporation established the Procurement Technical Assistance Center for the Northeast Indiana Region. The center is a resource providing assistance with all aspects of marketing to federal, state, and local governments. It is a not-for-profit organization and there is no fee for most services. PICC-PTAC is partnered with the Northeast Indiana Defense Industry Association with a goal of forward identifying and strengthening the defense cluster supply chain.
For more information on PICC-PTAC visit www.PICCorp.org or contact Gil Perry at the PTAC office in Fort Wayne at 260-481-0491.
Future Growth in Defense for Allen County
Lilly Endowment Inc. will provide $20 million to an affiliate of the Community Foundation of Greater Fort Wayne and the Northeast Indiana Regional Partnership to accelerate the development of northeast Indiana's workforce and talent resources. The program, entitled Talent Initiative, supports the development of education, training and talent initiatives in science, technology, engineering and mathematics. The Initiative - an unprecedented collaboration in northeast Indiana - is better preparing the region's workforce to capture the high-quality job opportunities available in the near term and those of the future.
Components of the Talent Initiative include support for the following critical initiatives:
- Retrain more than 3,300 adult workers in northeast Indiana over the next three years
- Enhance the Advanced Manufacturing program at Ivy Tech - Northeast
- Expand the systems engineering and wireless technology programs at Indiana University-Purdue University- Fort Wayne (IPFW)
- Create 6 New Tech High Schools within school corporations in northeast Indiana, with an emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) courses
- Support professional development in PBL to 1,300 regional educators beyond New Tech High Schools
The Talent Initiative includes significant and targeted educational and workforce programs for the aerospace and defense industries. The programs also will be relevant to the workforce development needs of other advanced manufacturing sectors in northeast Indiana. Northeast Indiana is home to over 160 defense/aerospace prime contractors and suppliers. During 2005 and 2006 the six largest firms in this sector received a total of $2 billion in prime contracts from the Department of Defense.